Friday, July 20, 2007

Praise you in the Storm

My best friend Adrienne lost her father this morning. He has gone on before her to glory and we know that he is enjoying his new marathon body. All of Adrienne's friends called him "The Admirable Man" in high school. He was definitely that, admirable. He loved his Savior and his family with a passion. He was an incredible man and I consider it a joy to have called him friend. He has battled ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease for too long and now he can rest in his creator's arms. If I had to face ALS I would only hope to handle it with as much grace and JOY as this man.

I've struggled with the idea of human suffering for a while now. I've had few friends that are close to me suffer at the hands of such a horrible disease. I will now join my best friend as she buries her father and cry like I haven't cried in a long time. I will still ask the same questions of "why so much pain" and "why such a God-fearing man" even though I've given up a million times to find the answers. I will still cry out to God in this crazy storm because I know that even when I don't feel like it, and when I don't understand I know this - my help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth and I will worship him. I don't have to have the answers and I don't have to worry if God is big enough to handle my questions. He is the I AM.

I didn't have long talks with Steve on a regular basis and I wouldn't have called him a second dad, but I did admire him because of the everyday things I saw him do. He took his family to church, conducted business as a CPA with the utmost character, he was generous, and spoke of his savior and how BLESSED he was even as the disease began to slur his speech. The best part, is that I see so much of Steve in Adrienne. She is strong and loving. She is generous and goes out of her way to tell her loved ones how precious and meaningful they are. She would go through fire to protect her family and she is madly in love with Jesus Christ.

It brings a smile to my face that Steve asked to see pictures of me while I was pregnant and of my new baby boy. Steve told me before he died that he couldn't wait to help build my mansion in glory. My answer today would be - I want a beautiful view of the throne and a room full of chocolate! Thank you Steve for leaving a magnificent legacy in my best friend, you will be terribly missed.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

OH Kayci! I will be praying for Adrienne's family and your family.
Thanks for this post, you are truly a blessing to everyone you encounter. He is the GREAT I AM!!! :)

Martha said...

I am so sorry but admit that I am thankful that his suffering is over. I hate ALS and hate what it does to all involved. I am so thankful that Adrienne had such an amazing daddy that showed her a happy reflection of Christ. As the questions come, remember that he fought the good fight and finished the race strong and entered into the Master's hands. he is numbered amoung the saints and one day, he may just be the first to show you your mansion and room full of chocolate. Love you, sister. M

JENNY said...

I've been praying for you, Adrienne, and Adrienne's family. Love you, Kayci!

Anonymous said...

Hey sweet girl! I left you a comment on facebook. My heart just hurts for Adrienne and her sisters! I know that it sounds so awful to say, but I am so glad his battle is over. I have prayed for Adrienne, and her family. I could not make the funeral, and I was so angry at myself. I have been tagged as super aunt this summer and have been babysitting Kallie and Chads nephew Spencer. It would have been difficult to take a almost 2 year whose now favorite words consist of "hiney, duh and sup dude," let a lone a 10 month old. Please tell Adrienne I love her greatly and I am praying and thinking about her. She is lucky to have such an amazing person in her life. You have the ability to warm others hearts, and make everything feel like it will all be ok. You make us realize that there is more waiting on us, and the power and word of God is shown through you each and every second of everyday. I love you so much, and thank God for you in, not just my life, but every life you touch....cause you maam are unforgettable!
I love you! Please send my love to Adrienne!!
Love,
Kayci K